Startup Tactics: 9 Lessons from a Veteran Entrepreneur - Patrick Jardini BS '12, MBA '17

Patrick Jardini Air Force

What does civilian life look like after active duty? For some veterans, they forge their own path by pursuing entrepreneurship. Veteran entrepreneurs bring a unique perspective to the table: from the battlefield to the business world, they bring unmatched tenacity, dedication, and discipline which serves them well in both areas. In honor of Veterans Day, our latest blog article highlights Patrick Jardini, U.S. Air Force veteran, Pitt alum, and Owner/President of American Gas Lamp Works, as he shares snippets of his military experience and how he incorporates the lessons learned into his entrepreneurial philosophy.

My name is Patrick Jardini. I’ve been asked to share my experiences as a veteran and describe how it has impacted my approach to life and business. It was an honor to be asked to share, and I hope what comes next is helpful (or at least a little funny).

I was an Aerospace Propulsion Specialist (fancy term for Jet Engine Mechanic) in the United States Air Force from 2001-2005. I served two years in Ramstein, Germany at the 37th Airlift Squadron, and the remainder of my time on the CV-22 Osprey test team at Edwards AFB, in California. Since leaving the Air Force, I’ve received both my Bachelor’s and MBA from Pitt. I’m now President and owner of American Gas Lamp Works - soon to be American Glow Lighting.

Straight up, no chaser

That tag line is how my first Sgt. Jay Wilburn would ask for information. He also said “I don’t like fluffy talk, unless you’re my teddy bear...” which always made me laugh. He was one of the most influential people in my life, and I honor him with honesty to you. This year has been a long series of curveballs, that have led to both the best and most frustrating time I’ve ever experienced as an owner. I’ll spare you the details, but it made me think of what would truly be beneficial to fellow businesspersons. So, if it’s ok, I would like to have a genuine conversation about business ownership. The good, the bad, the ugly and how my background plays into our culture and decision making. I say this all so you may understand these feelings or situations are common, and conversations with your trusted peers and advisers can help bring to light if addressed early and earnestly. Even if some things I say sound negative, or harsh, please don’t misunderstand my dedication. I wouldn’t trade my opportunities for anything else. The love/hate is natural, and sometimes it’s right to be open among peers so that they might not feel alone. This might help you better understand the situation you’re walking into, or one you’re already involved in. In either case, I hope my experience benefits you as it has me.

Take Everything Seriously

Meetings, happy hours, strategic planning, etc... Give every action the same attention and goal-setting treatment, and act as if the business depends on it. Plan, identify targets, overdress for the occasion. Military installations are comprised mostly of 18-22 year-old women and men, performing tasks using multimillion-dollar equipment that can either save lives or cause utter devastation. It’s intense, chaotic, and managed by what most people might consider children. To overcome what should theoretically be a disaster, we’re taught to treat everything with the seriousness of a life-or-death decision, because it just might be. When your choices mean the safety or harm of those around you, you don’t sugarcoat, you don’t waste time, and you take it seriously. You don’t have years or resources to waste, so having meaningful honest intentions and some uncomfortable conversations can lead to quick results, and might mean the success of your business, or, as we say in the military, situation “FUBAR”.

Overcome

“Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the mouth.” – Mike Tyson

Each military branch phrases it a little differently, but in the Air Force we had the Core Principles: Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do. Now, that’s not everything you need, but it starts a mindset of honor, persistence, resourcefulness, and resilience that builds a foundation for success. Imagine applying this to a daily task. Say vacuuming . . . No one likes it, but if you start with believing it’s for the greater good of the home and family, setting a plan to get it done, stocking the home with replacement filters, and, if the equipment breaks, finding a way to prevail. Learn to replace parts, borrow one, or just call in an airstrike and call it a day. The point is, get sh** done, no matter what. When you apply this to your life and your business, it sets a tone of accomplishment and competence, and if done consistently, people just might start to follow you.

Osprey

Make Necessary Cuts

This is probably the hardest part for most people because it eventually hurts you or someone else. If applied correctly, your lifestyle, your routine, and your friend group might soon look very different.

I don’t know a single person who could say that every habit, friend, and choice they’ve made has had a positive impact on their lives. However, when taking on large tasks that contribute to your life’s impact, you’ll inevitably need to shed weight. That could mean working more hours or cutting unnecessary or distracting habits. It might even mean evaluating and ending a toxic or negative relationship that takes up time and never really gets better. Staying in the night before to be productive the next day, or, for the younger crowd, not sharing too much online. No one will get this exactly right, but if you can be sincere about what and who is good for you, you’ll up your batting average on what pushes you forward versus what holds you back. 

Build Complimentary Teams

This is a circumstance where my Air Force experience was helpful in disagreeing with the chain of command structure. Obedience is coveted in the service, especially at the lower ranks. However, this can sometimes hinder the outcome of the mission if no one is allowed to question the method or the tactics. I don’t hire purely for experience and especially not for agreeability. I have found the most productive meetings I have are when those involved can challenge each other constructively and have a chance to stand up for why. Rooms of agreeable nodding heads lead to the implementation of ideas (both good and bad), but a thought competition between experts produces the best results. Survival of the fittest also works on a cerebral level, and if it’s coupled with respect, strengthens the bond within the team. Surround yourselves with positive opposition, and let the best ideas rise to the top.

Know Thyself

“I am what I am.” - Popeye

When starting or acquiring a company, it’s imperative that you look deep inside, know what you bring to the table, and more importantly, what you don’t.  I’ve taken accounting classes of various levels five times, and I still struggle with most of the concepts. However, I am good at asking questions and provoking conversation. So, when it comes to the financial health of the company, I trust in the professionals who do this for a living. I ask as many open-ended questions as I can and listen to their advice. They usually know better, and it’s what you’re paying them for. When so much is on the line, it’s easy to absorb all the responsibility, but it’s a fool’s errand to think you know better than the ones who do this every day. Rely on the team you’ve built and measure their efforts in objective, structured ways. Challenge, when necessary, but trust when possible.

Learn from every outcome

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.” – Winston Churchill

Appreciate the wins, and certainly repeat the pattern that got you there, but analyze the losses even harder. I hate losing more than I like winning. That approach isn’t for everyone, but it’s what keeps me fired up to push. If you can focus on bringing up the rear, and there’s always a rear, everyone moves faster towards checkpoints. There are lessons in every effort, experiment, and A/B test, so utilize the data while it’s still fresh in the team’s mind. With every mission/flight we conducted, our squad met afterward for a “Debrief”. We would immediately address what went right or wrong, and the circumstances that led to those outcomes. This will only provide for better assumptions and planning in the future. Learn from history, or you will be doomed to repeat it.

AGLW Westmoreland, Open Flame, Sewickley PA

Get after it!

Wake up early. Even when it hurts, even when you have kids, even if you went out the night before. Work out, read, work, whatever . . . just get up and get things done. If you’re making progress while others are still comfy, you’re pushing further, faster, and compounding gains. There is no easy way to success, and you’ll need to be ahead before everyone else starts their day. Whether it’s family or colleagues, their success depends on you being able to dedicate time, so you’ll need to handle your own sh** before you can help them.

Accepting the Mission

There is an uncomfortable truth some choose to ignore about owning a business (I know because I was one of those people). Entrepreneurship isn’t pretty or fun, it isn’t flashy, it’s riddled with failures, and if it’s remotely successful, most of us feel unworthy. You can have the best laid plans making great progress, and then something like a global pandemic comes along and you find yourself in the fetal position on the floor wondering “How can we survive this?”                                                                               

You don’t just have good and bad days; you have euphoric and catastrophic days. Adjusting to this intensity is difficult, but it’s also why I believe my background in the military has centered me through the chaotic and what seem like impossible conditions. You don’t need to have served to develop a mentality that is goal-focused and tactical. You just need to be willing to look at the “field of battle”, develop a plan, and get a little dirty.

So, can you accept the Sisyphean terms of the agreement, and still get fired up to try? Then let’s get to it.

HUA!? (Heard, understood, acknowledged)

Please let me know if I can ever be helpful, and enjoy the ride.

-Patrick

Patrick Jardini Current

Connect with Patrick on LinkedIn

RECENT POSTS

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR BLOG